LuminarAI was built on the strong belief that photo editing should be fast, easy, and fun. Our Templates-based editing approach helps LuminarAI achieve this goal. Templates combine efficiency with creativity. By using AI to understand the strengths and weaknesses of every image, Templates automatically correct common capture problems and apply enhancements that inspire new ideas.
The Templates included in LuminarAI were created in collaboration with professional photographers and retouchers to produce high-quality results. Based on in-depth research, Templates are composed to reflect both classic design and modern, popular trends, producing fresh and engaging images with maximum impact. Once refined, customized Templates can be saved and easily synced across large batches of photos, including across sets of images from different sessions and taken in different environments.
Use Templates as a starting point or when you need inspiration.
Browsing and applying templates
In order to save time when developing your image, you’ll find an extensive collection of Templates. Professional photographers and image retouchers help create these Templates to save you time and offer inspiration.
To apply a Template
- Make sure an image is open in LuminarAI.
- Click Templates at the top of the window to switch to the Templates Browser. This opens the Templates panel.
- Choose a template collection
- Use suggested templates in the For This Photo section
- Browse other collections organized by categories.
- Examine the Templates available by exploring their icons.
- When ready, click on a Template name to apply it. To apply a different Template to your photo, click on its name.
- Use the Strength slider at the bottom of the panel to adjust the intensity of a template quickly.
- Click the Heart icon next to a Template to add it to your Favorites list for easy access.
- In order to quickly return to the original state of a photograph, just use the Reset Adjustments command. You can find this in the ellipsis menu (…) to the right of the selected template name at the bottom right corner of the screen. The Reset Adjustments command resets all tool adjustments including Templates, but won’t affect tools such as CompositionAI.
Customizing a Luminar AI Template
As you adjust a Template or build one from scratch, you may find a particular combination that you like. Custom Templates can function as the jumping-off point for your own look and style.
- Make sure an image is open in LuminarAI.
- Click Templates at the top of the window to switch to the Templates Browser and choose a Template to apply.
- To finish your image, switch to the Edit tab
- You’ll see the tools used in a template indicated with a dot next to their name.
- Add new adjustments as desired.
A Template can store a lot of tools in an easy, one-click effect. Different photographers will desire different Templates. Plus a Template may work great on some photos, but need a little tweaking for others. Once you select a Template, you have the ability in the Sidebar to use tool controls to modify that Template to fit your specific image needs.
Saving a Custom Template
As you adjust a Template or build your own recipes from scratch, you may find a particular combination that you like. A Template can store a lot of control in an easy, one-click effect.
After you edit your image, saving your new style as a LuminarAI Template is easy.
- Adjust an existing Template or add your own tools to an image.
- In the top toolbar, click the Templates button to open the Templates panel.
- Refine the look of your image with different tools until you are satisfied.
- At the bottom of the Templates panel click the Item menu (three dots) and choose Save in the lower-right corner.
- The item is saved to your My Collection tab.
- You have the option to rename the Template or keep the default name in the My Collection tab.
Modifying Custom Templates
- Your new Template can be found under Template panel > My Collection > User Templates.
- Click the item menu next to the Template name if you want to manage or rename the template.
- Edit. Loads the Template as an active effect.
- Rename. Renames the current Template.
- Delete. Deletes the current user Template.
- Show in Finder/Show in Explorer. Opens an operating system window for the currently selected Template file. This allows you to copy the Template and pass it on to someone else.
Sharing a Custom Template
Any LuminarAI Template you make can be shared with other users, manually backed up to a new location, or copied to a new computer. You can freely export your own Templates and import another person’s Templates into your application.
- To view any Templates, navigate to the User Templates section in the My Collection area of the Templates panel.
- Click the item menu (three dots) next to a custom Template and choose Show in Finder (macOS) or Show in Explorer (Windows).
- Select the Templates you want to share, then send them to fellow LuminarAI users. Be sure to copy the entire parent folder which contains the preset file, resource file, and custom icon.
- To copy Templates on another machine, just reveal the folder as described above. Then go up one level to the Users folder.
- Simply drag the new Templates into your LuminarAI Templates User Folder.
- For best results, restart Luminar to load all the new Templates.
We understand that you’d love to use your previously created Looks in LuminarAI, so we’ve made the migration process automatic. LuminarAI will scan your computer and automatically migrate your Looks from Luminar 4 and convert them to Templates. You can access them in the Templates panel under My collection (the star icon on the right-side panel) > Legacy.
However, please keep in mind that since LuminarAI is a different product (not a Luminar 4 upgrade) with an entirely new core engine, a new workflow, and new features, the results you obtained with your Looks in Luminar 4 may be a bit different from the results you get in LuminarAI. For the best results, update your Looks (converted to Templates in LuminarAI) after migrating them.