The By drop-down menu lets you choose the order in which you view images in the Catalog.
The By menu lets you easily switch between different sorting options depending on your needs in the upper right corner of the Catalog. For example, you can find your photos using By Capture Time, Edit Time, Pick (Flag status), File Name, File Type, File Size, and Ascending or Descending.
- Capture Time. This option sorts your images using date and time metadata. This allows you to quickly find your most recent (or the oldest) photos in a folder or album.
- Edit Time. This option allows you to sort your photos by the last date you edited them in Luminar Neo. This is great when you reopen your Catalog after a break and want to locate the images you were last working on quickly.
- Pick. This option groups and sorts your images by how you have flagged them. If you sort by ascending, you will see Unmarked, Rejected, and Favorite images in that order. Switching to Descending reverses the order, showing Rejected images first, then Favorites, and finally Unmarked.
- File Name. This option sorts your images by file name. Files starting with a number will appear first, followed by letters from A to Z. When set to Descending order, images will be sorted from Z to A and then numerically from highest to lowest.
- File Type. This option categorizes and sorts images by file type, such as JPEG, TIFF, and raw. These groups are sorted alphabetically by the file identifier. For example, Sony raw images would appear first, as they are ARW files. Canon raw files would appear second, as they are CR2 files, followed by JPG, Nikon NEF files, Fujifilm RAF files, and TIFFs.
- File Size. You can sort your photos by the size of the files. This is useful if you have multiple versions of the same photos, perhaps low-quality thumbnails and the original JPEGs. Sorting by size lets you easily group photos and quickly delete them from your Catalog in the case of low-resolution thumbnails.
- Ascending. This option works with the other filter criteria, sorting filter results from smallest to largest, A to Z, lowest number to highest number, oldest to newest, and so on.
- Descending. This option works with the other filter criteria and reverses the sorting order, displaying results from largest to smallest, Z to A, newest to oldest, etc.